Jubilee Victoria Sponge with Seasonal Strawberries
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 250ml (8fl oz) double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for decoration
- 400g (13oz) strawberries
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Butter and line two 18cm (7in) sandwich tins with nonstick baking paper.
- Beat the butter and the sugar till pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Fold in the flour, one spoon at a time.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level with a knife. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the sponge cakes are well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool the sponge cakes on a wire rack.
- Hull the strawberries and slice them in half. Whip the cream till quite stiff, mix in the icing sugar and the vanilla.
- When the cakes are cool, spread the jam on one of the sponge cakes (if using) and spread half of the whipped cream on top.
- Place half of the strawberries on top of the cream.
- Place the other sponge cake on top and spread with the remaining whipped cream.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries around the top of the cake and dust with the remaining icing sugar.