Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
- 500g whole raw beetroot (3-4 medium beets)
- 100g butter
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- Wash and peel the beetroot, then chop into 2cm cubes and boil until tender
- Meanwhile, line a 20 x 30cm traybake or small roasting tin with baking paper Roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes
- Tip the cooked beetroot into a sieve, drain off any excess liquid, then put into a food processor or blender with the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Whizz until the mix is as smooth as you can get it. The chocolate and butter will melt as you do this.
- Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl, then beat using an electric hand whisk until thick, pale and foamy, about 2 mins. Spoon the beetroot mix into the bowl, then use a large metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs. Try to keep as much air in the mixture as you can
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 mins or until risen all over, with just a jiggle under the centre of the crust when you shake the pan
- Cool completely in the tin, then cut into squares.
Serve with edible flower garnish or berries if they're in season
This recipe will freeze well